Saturday, June 1, 2013

Table Tent Cubby House

Featured by the worst sewer ever... My version of a table tent cubby house.
 
I would just like to point out that this is not a tutorial. There are enough of those on Google already. Or see this YouTube clip: Better Homes and Gardens TV- Table Tent. I just wanted to share with you our version and maybe inspire you to have ago. Seriously guys if I can do this anyone can! The moment I seen this on a Better Homes and Gardens episode a few years ago I wanted to give it a try. I was lucky to be blessed with a little girl so I got to make it all girly and pretty but it can be easily adapted to suit a little boy. Your options are only limited by your creativity.
 
So back to me being the worst sewer ever, I seriously don't even own my own sewing machine. I had to borrow one from a friend. Try not to look too closely to these photos as you will notice the horribly wonky stitching and even little holes from where I some how missed a bit ha ha. But to make a table cloth cubby house it really is quite simple "for someone who has any sewing experience at all". My only experience is from my Home Ec class in grade 8.
 
 
 
So just a few tips that might help you on your way...
I just measured the height, length and width... pretty much all the dimensions of our dining table and added a cm on each measurement of the fabric to allow for sewing walls together and hems.
 
Then I focused on one wall at a time, even though it was so very temping to put it all together to see how it looks. I imagine it would have been much more difficult to work with like that. We were really lucky we have a glass top table so I made a "Sky light" to add character and to add a little light on the inside.
 
 
 I used a mesh/fly screen/tulle to create the windows, mine had some glitter in it for a little extra sparkle! I also tried to use as many different textures as I could for little hands to explore. I used some fake fur to create a cat which had a bell collar, I used shiny, sparkly sequin fabric, hessian which you can pick up really cheap from your fruit and vege shop and soft silky satin just for a few ideas.
 
 I did cheat and buy some fabric that already had some flowers and butterflies that looked like they were made from all sorts of different fabrics and cut them out and cause once again I mention how bad of a sewer I am, I glued them on and went around the edges with glitter gel paint to stop the edges from lifting up or fraying.
 
 
The table tent cubby house wasn't quite complete when I finished for now but as it goes I ran out of time before life got really busy. I wanted to add a pretty lace"ie" post for the letter box and some street numbers and I was trying to source some bright green fringing to add right around the bottom edge to make grass.
 
I would love to hear about any special projects that you have made or if you have had a go at a table tent cubby house yourself :-)
 
Teagan.
 

3 comments:

  1. I love this! I have a cubby for my daughter and she loves it but nothing beats the sheet over the dining table. You don't need to be a pro sewer, i am sure the kids still love it ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha thats it. I reasured myself that they wont be looking at the quality of sewing while they are playing in it. Thank you so much for taking the time to comment Bec :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for popping over and sharing ;-) it's a wet rainy day here so we are using a sheet to do the same thing. Need to sew myself one of these.

      Delete