Thursday, March 19, 2015

Sleep training the three year old

I wanted to have a chat about one of my latest purchases. 
The Zazu Sam the Sheep Sleep Trainer.




I am not a morning person and we have a strict "no up before 7am" rule in our house. Despite my best efforts to ensure Hannah was in on the deal, it was obvious she didn't get the memo. She would constantly wake up Amelia. Whether it was intentional or not it was driving me crazy!

So one day I had enough and decided to do some research into sleep trainer clocks remembering I had stumbled across the Gro-time version of it in the past. 

I found several different brands that had some form of the concept and went to work comparing them.

The Babyzoo Momo Sleep trainer was another. 
And also the Kid'Sleep Moon.

Throughout my research I stumbled across www.cruisybaby.co.nz/and their comparassion chart which I thought might be useful to share for those of you who might be in the market. 



I chose the Zazu Sam the sheep for a few reasons.

  1. It has both digital and analogue time display, so if it failed as a sleep trainer it will also aid in teaching the time. 
  2. It has an alarm function (as if I am ever going to need that!)
  3. It operates both on mains power and batteries.
  4. It has a wake up setting for both daytime and nighttime sleep.
  5. The all important child lock.
  6. A count down signal.
  7. Sam is in my opinion by far the cutest.
  8. And finally, lots of visual cues to enforce when it is time to be awake, when it is time to be asleep and when it is almost time to wake up.

I was sceptical at first whether it would work or not but with just a little bit of time spent explaining what the cues mean to Hannah, it started working almost straight away.

At 7am-ish she will come into my room and say "Sam's awake Mummy!" or if she comes in too soon a simple prompt "Is Sam awake?" or "If Sam is asleep, Hannah needs to be asleep" and she is usually happy to go back to bed for a while longer. Only a couple of times since we have had him that this has even needed to happen. 

It is even part of our bed time routine now where we say goodnight to Sam and somewhat aids in our battles to keep Hannah on her bed at night. We paid $59.95 plus postage for ours and I think it was worth every cent!

Do you have problems keeping your toddler in bed of a morning? 
Do you have any tips for me?

No comments:

Post a Comment